The Prisoner Department consists of a coiste (committee) which has the ultimate responsibility for managing the activities of the IRPWA, ensuring it is well run and delivering the outcomes for which it has been set up.
The Prisoner Department maintains a regular contact with Republican Prisoners imprisoned in Maghaberry, Hydebank and Portlaoise, who assist the department in areas of strategy, resources and public relations.
• Sets the strategic direction which guides the activities of the IRPWA.
• Ensures the effective management of the IRPWA and its activities; and
• Monitors the activities of the IRPWA to ensure they are in keeping with the founding principles, objects and values.
The coiste is made up of members who have individual responsibilities including oversight of specific sub-departments. The break down of the coiste is:
• Head of Department,
• Vice Head of Department,
• Public Relations Officer,
• Education Officer,
• National Organiser,
• Finance and Resource Manager and
• Foreign Affairs Officer.
Official Position Documents and Reports From Republican Prisoners in Maghaberry, Hydebank and Portlaoise. Click On The Links To Open Documents August 2010 Agreement: A Brief Historical and Political Context – Compiled August 2014 Creation of the August 2010 Agreement – Compiled August 2014 August 2010 Agreement Final Report by the Prisoner Ombudsman into complaints